Case Control Study Discussion
Prompt: A researcher was doing research to determine whether exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF)/ radiations was associated with breast cancer in
women. By reviewing the county disease database collected within a single year in a U.S. metropolitan city the researcher discovered 16 women with breast
cancer. A total of 544 other women were randomly selected from the county disease database. Women were given surveys with specific questions regarding
exposure to EMF. Among women with breast cancer 5 reported no exposure to EMF; a total of 436 control women were never exposed to EMF.
1. Construct the required 2 x 2 table with numeric values indicating cases and controls.
2. Calculate the measure of association
3. Discuss and interpret the results obtained
4. If you (as a researcher) were to investigate a rare cancer in Chicago, where might you look for data?
5. What would be necessary, legally, and ethically, to be able to utilize this data set(s) obtained, as a researcher?